If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The flank steak is a great vehichle for a flavorful marinade. We love a little heat with our sweet. I was once given a jar of a raspberry chipotle bbq sauce but the sodium content was beyond belief. This is my take on that sweetness and is a summertime favorite. In the winter, you can use frozen berries and broil in the oven. - lorigoldsby
- 1 medium flank steak
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar, only neccessary if using frozen berries
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or if you like HEAT, the whole can
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced (I used a maui onion)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon each of cumin and coriander
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- kosher salt and pepper
- combine all ingredients except flank steak, salt & pepper in food processor. Run fruit "salsa" mixture through a seive to remove excess seeds. Set aside 1/4 c. of marinade.
- If you have a particularly cheap cut of flank steak, tenderize meat with mallet. Season with salt and pepper. Marinade for 20 minutes to 4 hours....
- Grill to desired doneness (we prefer a nice pink medium rare). As this is a flank steak (feel free to sub other meats), make sure you cut ACROSS the grain if it is a flank steak. There was a good foodpickle (ask a food question) discussion thread about this today. If you don't have a grill (or its winter and buried under 2 ft of snow), sear in a screaming hot, heavy pan and finish under the broiler.
- Serve with Green Rice (brown rice mixed w/ 1 bunch of finely chopped cilantro), flour tortillas and a side of the fruit salsa (the reserved 1/4 c. of marinade and extra fresh berries for garnish)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
Tags: Summer Grill Spectacular