Author Notes: The flank steak is a great vehichle for a flavorful marinade. We love a little heat with our sweet. I was once given a jar of a raspberry chipotle bbq sauce but the sodium content was beyond belief. This is my take on that sweetness and is a summertime favorite. In the winter, you can use frozen berries and broil in the oven. - lorigoldsby
- 1 medium flank steak
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar, only neccessary if using frozen berries
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or if you like HEAT, the whole can
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced (I used a maui onion)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon each of cumin and coriander
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- kosher salt and pepper
- combine all ingredients except flank steak, salt & pepper in food processor. Run fruit "salsa" mixture through a seive to remove excess seeds. Set aside 1/4 c. of marinade.
- If you have a particularly cheap cut of flank steak, tenderize meat with mallet. Season with salt and pepper. Marinade for 20 minutes to 4 hours....
- Grill to desired doneness (we prefer a nice pink medium rare). As this is a flank steak (feel free to sub other meats), make sure you cut ACROSS the grain if it is a flank steak. There was a good foodpickle (ask a food question) discussion thread about this today. If you don't have a grill (or its winter and buried under 2 ft of snow), sear in a screaming hot, heavy pan and finish under the broiler.
- Serve with Green Rice (brown rice mixed w/ 1 bunch of finely chopped cilantro), flour tortillas and a side of the fruit salsa (the reserved 1/4 c. of marinade and extra fresh berries for garnish)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries
Tags: Summer Grill Spectacular