If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the basic Tom Collins format of gin + lemon + simple syrup + soda water -- it's easy to riff on, and has the added bonus of letting you call the resulting drink "a (Something) Collins," which conjures up a speakeasy boozy vibe, like tough Old New York, rather than a girly fruity cocktail (which, in actuality, most of my variations are).
This drink was developed based upon the available fruit/booze/herbs in our cabinet and garden. In general, I tend towards cocktails that are sweet and citrusy, and while this drink has both elements, the herbs and cucumber keep it from being cloying, making it as refreshing as a dip in the pool. - deensiebat
- 1/2 handful basil leaves, bruised
- 1 lemon, zest and juice separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 4 shots gin
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- First, prepare the basil syrup: toss the basil leaves, lemon zest, sugar, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and allow to infuse for half an hour (if you've got the time -- and longer won't hurt). Strain, discarding the leaves and peel and reserving the syrup.
- Next, make a raspberry puree: blend the raspberries, lemon juice, and a healthy splash of the basil syrup in a blender until pureed. Strain if desired, or leave the seeds in if you don't mind.
- To assemble the drink, mix together a shot of gin, a shot of raspberry puree, and about 3/4 shot of the basil syrup. Shake, then pour into a glass with plenty of ice. Top with an equal amount of soda water, toss in a few slices of cucumber, and taste, adjusting the balance to your drinking preference. Drink poolside, languorously.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.