Author Notes: Bi Rite Market in San Francisco makes this great pickled herring. It doesn't have the cream sauce, which is how I usually see pickled herring, and it's tart and refreshing and delicious. I threw it into a melon & goat cheese salad and it tasted like it was meant to be.
If you can't find pickled herring without the cream sauce, I bet that kind would work just fine here. Or perhaps smoked trout. - linzarella
- 1 cup melon, balled or cubed
- 1/2 firm avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- a few handfulls arugula
- 6 ounces pickled herring, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fleur de sel, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well. Add fluer de sel and pepper and toss again. Finish with juice from the lemon.