If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bi Rite Market in San Francisco makes this great pickled herring. It doesn't have the cream sauce, which is how I usually see pickled herring, and it's tart and refreshing and delicious. I threw it into a melon & goat cheese salad and it tasted like it was meant to be.
If you can't find pickled herring without the cream sauce, I bet that kind would work just fine here. Or perhaps smoked trout. —linzarella
- 1 cup melon, balled or cubed
- 1/2 firm avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- a few handfulls arugula
- 6 ounces pickled herring, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fleur de sel, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well. Add fluer de sel and pepper and toss again. Finish with juice from the lemon.
By the Book
How to cook like the leading ladies of literature
Eat like your favorite literary heroines,
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
A different kind of tomato dish.
The chicest apron around.