If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am for the most part a wine and beer guy, but every now and again I reach for something a bit stiffer. In the cold months that would be a bourbon, and in the summer, this drink. I first had a basil gimlet (with gin) at a restaurant years ago, and even though I'm not a gin drinker, fell in love with the thing and vowed to come up with a vodka version ASAP. This concoction is the result of that effort launched so many years ago, and is a perfect poolside sip. - Oui, Chef —Oui, Chef
Food52 Review: WHO: Oui, Chef is a father of five, a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, and a food blogger.
WHAT: A pitch-perfect blend of basil, lime, and vodka.
HOW: The basil, lime zest, lime juice, and simple syrup all get muddled together, hang out for five minutes, and then get shaken with vodka and ice.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Oui, Chef gets all the ratios just right -- the cocktail has the perfect touch of sweetness, tang, and zip. Drink it while the weather's still warm -- and then in the heart of winter, when you're begging for sunshine. —Food52
- 6 large, fresh basil leaves, torn into strips
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 2 1/2 ounces vodka
- Put the basil strips, lime zest, lime juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Crush the leaves and the juices with a muddler and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the liquid to infuse with the basil flavor.
- Add the vodka, then fill the shaker 2/3 full with ice. Cover and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain the elixir into 2 chilled martini glasses, top each with a small sprig of basil and enjoy!
- Rinse and repeat!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail
A Bagel & Lox, In Salad Form
This is (crème) fraîche
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Churn with confidence.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.