If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Surely, any drink that has a double-barelled reference to men in one word is worth a closer look. Enter Chapman.
I assure you that this refreshing cocktail (contrary to the suggestions above) is neither come and go (it is here for ALL seasons) nor unstable in its nature (consistent in how to make it and its great taste). So, I rapidly discard that definition and go for it in all its grace and strength – male and all. And very Nigerian too, think of it as the African version of Sangria.
It has soft drinks in the mix - don't let that put you off. If you got served a glass, you would be hard pressed to tell what it was made from!
TIPS? You could use fruit flavoured icecubes; Use Grenadine syrup or even Pomengranate syrup instead of the Blackcurrant cordial - the key thing is to get the ‘Chapman red’ colour; swap some or all of the Fanta and Sprite with Ginger ale or Bitter Lemon and swig some Campari into the mix. Finally, choose your garnish - mint leaves, cucumbers, citrus slices. I’ve read of people loving bananas in it. Personally, I’m a cucumber babe but you just might be a Pineapple kinda guy, who knows. Go with the flow and do rock the boat if you must. Expand your horizons and mine.
Food52 Review: Kitchen Butterfly's Nigerian Chapman aka African Sangria gives you plenty of options to concoct a perfectly refreshing punch. Given license to vary the soda, I tried this with Orangina using fresh bananas for a final garnish. The cassis with bitters adds depth and counterbalance to make this punch interesting on its own--you can decide to spike further or not. Given the variations, you'll definitely find a version that pleases. The cucumbers are a great way to offset the sweetness of the cassis. —Sagegreen
Makes a bowl of punch
- 1 litre Fanta Orange
- 500ml Sprite or 7up
- 150 -200 ml Blackcurrant cordial/Cassis syrup, or more to taste
- Several drops of Angostura bitters
- Vodka, Campari, White rum or White beer (optional)
- Juice of a lime
- Juice of a lemon
- 1- Juice of a sweet orange
- Ice cubes
- Cucumber slices, to garnish
- Lemon, lime and orange wedges, to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients in a jug or punch bowl, save for the ice cubes and garnishes. Stir well together and adjust to taste
- To serve, set up (cocktail) glasses and put lots of icecubes in each glass. Ladle the punch into glasses and garnish with cucumber slices, lemon, lime and orange wedges. Refreshing....
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Punch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Best Beer Cocktail
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.