If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple Italian dinner is on the schedule and what a perfect opportunity to treat my grands to Braciole for the first time, probably only one will eat it and we will devour the rest with sauce and macaroni.
Our family recipe was simple and of course, lost through the ages since no one had any interest in making it... through the years I made many changes to our recipe. I never had the time for the small stuffed meat rolls and the flavor of the flank seasoned with Italian seasonings, cold cuts and cheeses serves several. I make several at one time and freeze in food sealer bags. Lots of tomatoes for a sauce again this week...Braciole, pick your pronunciation - ibbeachnana
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Provolone,
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon 2 fat cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon each fresh rosemary, thyme, and oregano, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon or fresly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pieces slices capacole, finely diced
- 3 pieces small slices mortadella, finely diced
- 3 pieces sliced sandwich pepperoni, finely minced
- 4 pieces slices prosciutto or enough for a layer over the flank steak
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts roughly chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons EVOO to moisten stuffing blend and drizzle over stuffing layer before rolling
- 1/4 cup or so red or white wine to moisten crumbs
- 1 1/2-2 pounds butterflied and pounded to an even thickness
- Prepare and blend all of the stuffing ingredients and season to taste keeping in mind that the meats and cheeses offer some salt to the recipe. Most of the time I am up to 1 cup of the cheeses for my taste.
- Lay the flank steak out and season with pepper and a layer of prosciutto and some freshly ground pepper. Start laying the stuffing on top at about 1/2 inch from the edge until the steak is covered, pressing the stuffing down as you go. Drizzle with EVOO, roll and tie the flank stuffed roll. Season with salt and pepper.
Saucing the braciole
- Sear the braciole on all sides and add it to a simmering pot of marinara sauce of your choice. Simmer for at least 2 hours. Remove from sauce, remove string, slice, and serve with more sauce. I happen to have about 20 lbs of tomatoes that will be made into our favorite version for the braciole and sausages.
- It has been so hot this summer so I have used a slow cooker for several dishes that I would normally turn on the oven for and today, braciole in the slow cooker, cooking time increased to 6 hours. I defrosted the sauce and heated it, placed some in the ceramic insert, browned the braciole and added it to the sauce in the slow cooker insert. Then deglaze the cooking pan with red wine, reduce slightly and pour over the braciole. Add about two cups sauce, cover and cook about 6 hours, turning 4 times.
Tags: Sunday dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.