If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was looking for a different way to prepare sweet potatoes and came up with this the week before Halloween. Because of the colors and date, my boyfriend dubbed it "Halloween Shepard's Pie". It can be enjoyed year-round however. —CamsKitchen
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion (about 1/2 medium spanish onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon worcestshire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4-6 slices bacon (to taste - turkey or pork)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place potatoes on a baking sheet. Let potatoes roast for about 20-30 minutes until very soft.
- Line a baking sheet with parchament paper and place bacon strips on top. Place in oven about 15-20 mins until crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the BBQ Sauce: heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and add onions and garlic. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 mins. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and cook beef, breaking up as it cooks. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. When meat is almost done cooking add as much BBQ sauce as desired. Reserve the rest of the sauce for another use.
- Remove potatoes from oven, peel, and mash with fork for chunkier texture or immersion blender for smoother texture. Remove bacon from oven and cut into small pieces.
- Layer meat mixture in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon. Layer mashed pototoes on top and sprinkle with sheet. Return to oven for about 15 minutes until cheese is melted and dish is heated through. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
It's all about the sauce.
It's time to travel.
Recipe of the Day