If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently made this very strange but delicious pie for my brother's birthday. He requested apple-berry. He's British so I forgive such odd requests. Hah. So I made him a:
whiskey-apple-pear-black raspberry-Marion blackberry-wild blueberry pie with an olive oil crust and a crumble top - DUZE @BakingBackwards
- 1 pie crust, http://www.food52.com/recipes/13667_my_new_goto_pie_crust
- 5 small organic royal gala apples
- 1 organic d'anjou pear
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 package stalbush healthberry blend (gourmet frozen berries)
- 1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 shot good quality whiskey
- 2 tablespoons organic butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinammon
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 recipe's worth of my crumble topping, http://www.food52.com/recipes/13669_my_crumble_topping
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Peel core and chop the apples and the pears. Heat a skillet over medium high heat (not non-stick!!!!) Add the butter and let it melt and sizzle.
- Add the apples and pear pieces. Saute 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and zest. Add the sugar and let it bubble and reduce a little. Add the cinammon, salt and pepper, vanilla and the whiskey. Saute another minute. Make a slurry out of the water and flour. Add to pan and stir in.
- Add contents of the pan to prepared pie crust. Top with the frozen berries, arranging evenly over the top. Top with crumble topping. Bake at 375 in a preheated oven until crumble top is brown and pie is fragrant (about 20-30 minutes depending on your oven.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pears