If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My favorite "Carnifood" is funnel cake. It reminds me of crispy pancake batter. This inspired me to treat the funnel cake as I would a pancake- by dousing it in MAPLE SYRUP! I also accomodated a few flavors which I believe play nicely with maple. Using the "Grade B" variety of maple syrup is key, as its strong maple flavor complements the orange and cinnamon also found in the recipe. - Stefano Coppola
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- pinches Salt
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Eggs, Whites Only
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Grade "B" Maple Syrup
- Canola Oil, for frying
- Boil o.j., butter, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan. Add flour and work it in until it is all incorporated and dough forms a ball. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a standing mixer and let cool for 3 to 4 minutes.
- With the mixer on low, add eggs, 1 at a time, making sure the first egg is completely incorporated before continuing.
- Once all eggs have been added and mixture is smooth, put dough in a piping bag fitted with a small tip. Or, cut the corner off of a deep freezer bag and use as you would a piping bag- just be sure to hold the opening closed with a paperclip or "chip clip" when filling the bag.
- Heat 1 1/2-2 inches of oil in a heavy pan. Whisk together cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Pipe dough into oil, making a free-form, spiderweb pattern; cook until browned, flipping once. Remove cake from oil, drain on paper towels, and top with cinnamon-powdered sugar.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, or dunk, if you prefer (as I do)!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce
Style with a breeze.
The Poor Man's Parmesan
Satisfy your salty, crunchy, oily cravings -- without the price tag.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.