Author Notes: Go to any Greek fair or festival around here and the aroma of these meat morsels threaded on a stick and grilled makes you salivate. They can be lamb, pork or chicken, sometimes threaded with onion and bell pepper, sometimes plain. Serve them in a pita with tzatziki, on a bed of pilaf or right off the stick...any way, they're a great summer treat. This is my pork version. - inpatskitchen
Makes four sticks
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin cut in cubes about 1 to 1 1/2 inches
- 3 lemons ( the third reserved for squeezing on the meat at serving time)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Green bell pepper and white onion slices (optional)
- Marinate the meat in the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, paprika and the juice of 2 of the lemons for 4 to 6 hours.
- Soak 4 wooden 12 inch skewers in water for 1/2 hour or more before grilling.
- Skewer 1/4 of the meat on each skewer, adding the slices of onion and pepper here and there if desired.
- Grill on a medium heat to your desired degree of doneness (about 15 minutes).
- Squeeze the juice from the third lemon over all four skewers before serving. OPA!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food