If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Perfectly ripe summer fruit doesn't need a lot of sugar to turn it into a mouth-watering pie. This Blueberry-Apricot Pie is light on the sugar, full of delicious fruit, and baked in a whole wheat and flax crust. Heck, it's even healthy enough to eat for breakfast! - Out of the Box Food
Makes 1 pie
Whole Wheat & Flax Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons flax meal
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5-6 tablespoons ice water
- Place butter in the freezer for about 15 minutes (to make it extra cold).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flax meal and sea salt.
- Cube butter into 1/2? pieces and add to flour mixture.
- Blend together with pastry cutter, or pulse briefly with food processor until crumbly with small pea-sized pieces of butter (Do not over mix or crust will not be flaky)
- Drizzle ice water over flour mixture and toss with a fork to combine. If you can squeeze a small amount of dough and have it stick together, dough is done. Otherwise, drizzle another teaspoon of ice water over dough.
- Turn dough out onto smooth surface and divide into four pieces. Using the heal of your hand, press dough forward a couple times to distribute the fats. Do not overwork the dough.
- Scrape all dough back together and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Press down to form a 4-5? disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to use.
Bluberry-Apricot Pie Filling
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 large apricots, sliced
- 1/3 cup raw/granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or 5 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out 1/2 of dough and lay in pie dish.
- In a large bowl, mix cornstarch/tapioca with lemon juice and sugar.
- Add blueberries and apricots. Toss to coat.
- Pour berry mixture into pie dish.
- Roll out 2nd half of dough. Cut out decorative shapes and lay cutouts over the top of the pie.
- Brush crust with beaten egg wash.
- Place pie on foil lined baking sheet and place baking sheet w/ pie in oven.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling. (cover the edges of the pie with foil when brown to prevent burning)
- Let rest to set. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food