If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Full disclosure: I am not a morning person; it is hard for me to get going in the morning, and more often than not, breakfast is coffee and something super-quick, like a pre-packaged breakfast bar or a bowl of cereal. Some days I need something more substantial, but I still don't want to spend a bunch of time in front of the stove. Enter the breakfast sandwich. This version combines bacon, egg, avocado, and cherry or grape tomatoes. I find that cherry tomatoes pack more flavor per bite than sliced tomatoes most of the year, but if you have some good heirloom slicers, feel free to substitute. This sandwich comes together pretty quickly: The prep work is done while the bacon is frying, and the assembly is done while the eggs are frying. Applying the mashed avocado to both slices of bread helps decrease the mess factor, but do be careful so you don't have to change your shirt before you head to work! - hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: WHO: When hardlikearmour is home alone, she makes herself soft scrambled eggs and toast.
WHAT: A breakfast sandwich worth rolling out of bed for.
HOW: Spread mashed avocado on two pieces of toast and let it act as a catch-all for a runny egg, crumbled bacon, and sliced cherry tomatoes.
WHY WE LIKE IT: Breakfast sandwiches are usually too fussy for anything but weekend brunches, but not this one. You can prep and assemble as you go, leaving you plenty of time to make it work by 9 AM and still put your cereal routine to rest. - The Editors
Makes 2 sandwiches, easily scaled down to 1
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 large Hass avocado
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Table or fine sea salt
- 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 thick slices of Bâtard or your favorite sandwich bread
- 2 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place your bacon into a cold frying pan, then heat over medium, turning occasionally, until it's crisp.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine the avocado, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Mash everything together with a fork, until fairly smooth. Set aside.
- Wash and quarter your cherry tomatoes. Push to one side of your cutting board. Line the other side of the cutting board with 2 layers of paper towels for draining the bacon.
- Toast your bread when the bacon is close to being done. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, and set aside.
- Remove the bacon and place it on the paper towels. Pour off all but a tablespoon or two of the bacon grease (but save the rest for other uses!). Fold the paper towels over top of the bacon, and pat to remove most of the grease.
- Pour the eggs into the frying pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a lid over the eggs, and allow to cook until the whites are set, but the yolks still runny (or to firm yolks if that's what you like). This will only take a few minutes.
- Divide the mashed avocado mixture between the 4 slices of bread, spreading in an even layer on each slice. Divide the cherry tomatoes between the 2 "bottom" slices of bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Crumble a slice of bacon onto each "top" slice of bread.
- Place an egg on top of the tomatoes, and add the "top" slice of bread to the "bottom." (You can also arrange the components on the sandwich however you like.) Slice with a serrated knife, or eat whole. Enjoy a great start to your day!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce