If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Aside from lemon bars, this is one of my favorite bar cookie recipes. It's reminiscent of seven-layer bars without all the hassle and with the added benefit of a shortbread crust. I've adapted it from Elinor Klivans' Coconut Pecan Southland Bars in 125 Cookies to Bake, Nibble and Savor. —clcatto
Makes one batch
For the shortbread
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is very lightly golden. Don't allow the crust to cook all the way through as it will be going back into the oven with the topping.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
For the topping
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- While the shortbread is baking, beat the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium speed until light in color (about 1 minute).
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the pecans and coconut.
- Stir in chocolate chips. The batter will remain fairly thick.
- When the cooked shortbread has cooled slightly, spread the batter evenly over the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out sticky and the middle remains firm if you give the pan a gentle shake.
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.