If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cherry clafoutis, a classic French dessert, is usually ripe cherries suspended in a pancake-like batter and baked. I saw a picture of those beautiful red cherries and immediately thought of how spectacular this dish would be if it was turned into a savory version reminiscent of a certain favorite pizza. This would be a great quick lunch or weeknight supper served with a Caesar salad and grilled Italian sausage [sweet or hot]. - gr8chefmb
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Place eggs, 3/4 cup of Parmesano-Reggiano cheese, milk , cream, crushed red pepper, chopped basil, salt and flour in food processor or blender and process for 45-60 seconds, scraping down sides as needed, or just until batter is smooth. Let batter rest while preparing tomatoes.
- Place a 9-inch oven-safe heavy skillet on high heat and melt butter. Use pastry brush to coat sides of skillet with melted butter. Add tomatoes and sugar to skillet; cook for 2-3 minutes, or just until tomatoes start to get soft enough to burst.
- Remove skillet from heat and pour batter evenly over tomatoes. Place skillet in center of oven and bake for 20 minutes, or just until clafoutis is puffed, set, and golden brown around the edges. Do not open the oven door until the end of the baking time or it may collapse. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining Parmesano-Reggiano cheese, mozzarella and torn basil leaves over the top. Cut into serving-sized wedges and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes