Author Notes: In that brief moment of time when the best peaches are available, this variation of a cobbler really shines. The topping is not doughy in the least and bakes up with a light, sugar snappy crunch. And the leftovers, if there are any, make for an illicitly good breakfast. Call it a fruit serving. - marynn
Serves 4-6 (sometimes 2)
- 3 cups peeled, sliced, perfect peaches
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg (4-6 swipes on the grater)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup AP flour
- 6 tablespoons butter--melted and cooled a bit
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, either whole or chiffonade
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 and have the rack in the middle. On the lower rack, have a Silpat-lined sheet to catch any dribbles.
- Place peaches in a greased or sprayed 8 X 8 baking dish--I use Pyrex. Sprinkle lemon juice over all.
- Sift dry ingredients; add egg, tossing the mixture with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle flour/egg mixture over peaches and drizzle with butter. ALL of it.
- Bake for 30-40 mn 'till golden brown and delectable. Let it sit about 15 mn before serving. Ice cream? Of course. Add mint chiffonade, if you wish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart