If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this is a great cake for breakfast of afternoon tea. you can make it with or without the glaze. - sweet enough
Serves one cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown suger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 firm pears
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 coin size pieces fresh ginger, peeled
- heat oven to 350 degrees. butter a spring 9 inch spring form cake pan and set aside.
- sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- peel, core and chop into bite-sized chunks the pears. melt one tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat and add the pears. saute until they just start to release their moisture and add one tablespoon of the brown sugar. cook until the pears start to brown and remove from heat. set aside.
- cream the butter and 1/2 cup of brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl. beat until light and fluffy. add the eggs, one at a time, and beat in the molasses, vanilla extract and orange zest. mix in half the dry ingredients and then 1/2 the sour cream. mix in the rest of the dry ingredients and the rest of the sour cream. fold in the pears.
- pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50 minutes or until the center of the cake comes clean when you insert a cake tester.
- while the cake is in the oven you can make the glaze. place the orange juice, ginger slices and sugar in a pan. heat until the sugar is dissolved and then simmer until the mixture starts to thicken, about five minutes. remove from heat and let stand. when the cake is out of the oven and cooled slightly, remove the pieces of ginger and spoon the glaze over the cake.
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.