Author Notes: When local peaches are in their prime, this is without doubt my family's grand ole' standby for a crowd pleasing summer dessert. Sweet, tangy fruit against a buttery, flaky pie crust with a slight crunch from Demerara crystals creates a marvelous contrast on the palette.
Because this batch of peaches was particularly outstanding, added sugar and outside flavor, with the exception of a drizzle of Grand Marnier (it was Sunday dinner after all) was kept to a minimum. The result was heavenly! - Sydney
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and very cold
- 2-1/2 tablespoons lard, cubed *you could substitute for crisco here but I don't like using hydrogenated oils
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- in a food processor, pulse sugar, salt and flour. Add butter and lard and pulse until small crumbs are formed. With ice water ready, pulse again while slowly pouring in the ice water until it comes together. Stop the machine here- it's important not to overmix. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest in fridge for at least an hour, or until ready to use.
- 7-8 ripe peaches, skinned and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional... but really if you have it, go for it!)
- 1-2 tablespoon peach jam- made ahead easily with fresh peaches cooked down with a little water and sugar for a few hours then pureed. *store bought is fine as long as it's not too sweet.
- few teaspoons Demerara sugar for finishing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place sliced peaches in your favorite bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and drizzle Grand Marnier over them.
- Take your pâte brisée out of the fridge and roll out thin. Transfer the rolled out dough to a silpat-covered cookie sheet.
- With a fork, mix together the egg and heavy cream. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the rolled out dough (this helps keep the dough from getting soggy with peachy Grand Marnier juices).
- Spread a thin layer of peach jam over the egg washed dough.
- Scoop out the peaches into the middle of the dough. Loosely and rustically fold the edges in to the center. Brush the tart with more of the egg wash and sprinkle sugar to create a lovely texture.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 375 and finish baking for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart