If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was eating a black bean burger with salsa and sitting beside me was a peach from my CSA. I love peach salsa, so I figured, why not top off the sandwich with some slices of peach? And then I thought, if I like tomato and peaches together in salsa, why not in a pie?! A delicious summer pie.
So, I took the pie crust recipe from the autumn food52 star, the butternut squash and roasted garlic galette (http://www.food52.com/recipes/7329_butternut_squash_and_roasted_garlic_galette) and went from there. - mdubs
Serves 4 as appetizer or with sides
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
- Put the flour, semolina, and salt in a bowl (feel free to use a food processor if you have one) and mix.
- Add the butter and mix into the flour until it looks like small peas.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough sticks together (when you gather the dough in your fingers and it sticks together without crumbling, it’s ready).
- Transfer to a lightly floured board and shape the dough into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes (more if they're smaller), thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup mozzerella cheese
- 2-5 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Then put a 1/4 inch of water into a pan and heat until boiling. Once boils, add onion and cook for five minutes. Dry onion with a paper towel.
- Add butter and sugar to pan and heat, then add onion. Cook onion for 15-20 minutes to carmelized, watching carefully towards the end so that the onions don't burn.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface so that it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Arrange alternating slices of peach and tomato (to the best extent possible- definitely won't be as neat as just peach or apple slices, but I promise it will look pretty anyway). Once dough is pretty much covered, fold over the edges. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Take pie out of oven, topping with small slices or shredded mozzerella, then adding the carmelized onion. Finally, shred roughly 1/2 cup of paremsan (buy the good stuff- it's worth it) over the top of the pie and place back in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place pie on a cooling rack, adding some fresh basil and enjoy.
- If you want, you could definitely add arugula or maybe some balsamic vinegar to this, to really amp up the flavor.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart