Author Notes: I love the combination of mixing whipped cream cheese into vanilla ice cream. I first saw Rick Bayless add quince to the mixture a few years back and was sold. Adding fresh peaches and turning it all into a vanilla wafer almond crust makes for a great summer treat. - inpatskitchen
Makes one ten inch pie
For the crust
- 40 crushed vanilla wafers (about 1 1/2 cups crushed)
- 1/2 cup whole almonds placed into a food processor and ground
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Combine all ingredients and press onto bottom and about an inch or two up the sides of a ten inch spring form pan.( Note: You may not need all of the crumb mixture)
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 350F and cool completely. Set aside.
For the pie
- 4 very large peaches, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 5 cups softened vanilla ice cream
- Place the peaches sugar and lemon juice in a sauce pan and over medium heat, cook the mixture for about 5 minutes until the peaches soften and start releasing juices.
- Mash the mixture a bit with a potato masher, remove from the heat, stir in the almond extract and let cool completely.
- When the peaches have cooled, whip the cream cheese until fluffy, stir in the softened ice cream and fold in 2 cups of the peach mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust, cover and freeze overnight.
- With the remaining peach mixture, blend it in a blender or with a stick blender until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, remove the pie from the freezer for about 10 minutes before removing from the ring of the pan. Cut into wedges and drizzle with a little of the peach puree.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart