Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from my father in law's famous cranberry sauce recipe, which I tasted on my first married Thanksgiving and have been asking for or recreating ever since. He claims that his wife never lets him cook, but based on this recipe, maybe she should. His original recipe calls for more sugar and uses the crockpot, so this is streamlined a bit. - Savour
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1/5 cup sugar
- 1 cup toasted pecan halves
- 11 ounces canned mandarin oranges, drained (I used canned, but you can also use fresh if you want to remove all the membranes, which I've done.)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup port
- Combine all ingredients except port in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the cranberries have "popped" and released their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Add port, stir completely and chill.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cranberry Sauce