Author Notes: I like to find recipes and tweak them to my liking. I found a coconut cream cheese brownie recipe and it inspired me to create a brownie that could be a combination of an Almond Joy and a Mounds candy bar. I changed the amount of filling required, lowered sugar amount and used lower fat cream cheese and added almonds. I emphasized the amount of cacao in the chocolate because I'm a dark 72% and higher kind of gal! This recipe creates a very moist brownie with a nice texture! - JMT
Makes 8x8 pan that can be cut to desired size
- 1/2 package Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup finely shredded coconut
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1-3.5 ounce bar of 72% cacao chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8X8 baking pan.
- Filling: In a medium sized bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, 1/8 cup of sugar, egg yolk, vanilla and coconut. Mix together with hand mixer until well combined. Set aside.
- Brownie batter: Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. In a metal or glass bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, combine chocolate and oil. Stir until chocolate is melted. Let mixture cool slightly. Add the 1 cup of sugar, vanilla, eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Mix until smooth and lump free.
- Combine the flour mixture with the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Fold in ½ cup of almond slices.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and place several dollops of the cream cheese/coconut filling evenly on top of the batter. Take a butter knife and swirl the filling back and forth into the batter in one direction, then turn pan and swirl again in a crosswise pattern through the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Start checking at 35 minutes by inserting the blade of a knife to see if it comes out clean, not to overbake. Cool on a wire rack and wait at least 30 minutes before cutting. Cut to desired sized squares.