If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Honey cake (pão de mel, in Portuguese) is a very typical treat in Brazil. The pleasure provided from this cake started early on the oven, when the smell of sweet and spices swirl around the kitchen and coming to you. This pleasure is completed after a very moist cake slice, with lots of honey and clove savor.
This recipe is from the notebook that a dear friend gave to me. It was one of the first recipes that I tried and immediately it became one of my specialties. You can fill it with custards, brigadeiros, caramel creams, nuts or dried fruits. Today I used a white brigadeiro filling that harmonized perfectly with the chocolate and spices flavors. It is perfect for parties when prepared as cupcakes and mini discs. —Lulussweetsecrets
- 1 cup honey
- 1 Tb whole cloves, 1 cinnamon sticks, 1 Tb fennel seeds and 1 cup water to make an infusion.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can table cream or 8 fl oz/ 240ml light cream
- 400g milk chocolate, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 can table cream or 8 fl oz/240ml light cream
- For the cake, preheat oven 350 F. Make the spices infusion: in a small saucepan, combine the water, cloves, fennel seeds and cinnamon stick. Bring the mixture to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the mixture is fragrant. Pour into a cup through a fine mesh sieve and discard the spices. Place honey, sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until well combine. Dissolve baking soda in milk. Then add the spices infusion, milk and flour and mix until well combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour the batter in a greased and floured pan and bake for approx. 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake come out clean.
- For the White Brigadeiro Filling, Pour the condensed milk into a medium saucepan and place over medium heat Add the egg yolks and keep stirring the mixture until it starts to show the bottom of the pan when you scrape it with a spoon. As you scrape the bottom of pan with the spoon, the mixture should be thick enough to show you the bottom the pan for a couple of seconds before the mixture levels out again. Pour the mixture in a bowl and leave aside to cool. When the Brigadeiro mixture is at room temperature, add the table cream and mix until combine. Place it in the fridge until decoration.
- For the chocolate ganache, Melt the chocolate in the cream in a bain marie. Lower-fat crean like light cream, half-and-half, and evaporated milk tend to "break" or curdle when added to sauces. To prevent this from happening, heat the cream over low or medium heat in a bain marie before add the chocolate. Don't let the cream boil. Whisk until you have a thick cream consistency. Pour over the cake.
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
It's time to travel.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
Put cake on a pedestal.