Author Notes: This relish can be made well before the holiday feast; it keeps well in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. It also freezes well. Use with turkey, chicken, ham, or pork.
Serves 6 cups
- 1 lemon, quartered and seeded
- 1 orange, quartered and seeded
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Cut lemon and orange into pieces no bigger than 1/2". Place them in a large saucepan with all the other ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick. Cool and refrigerate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cranberry Sauce