Author Notes: It was inspired by the spice markets of the middle east. I always found poaching fruit to be warmly therapeutic, especially in the autumn months. The fruit tree by my home ties the comfort into a special dessert I make every year. Do enjoy. - downtoearthgourmet
Makes 8 desserts
- 1 quart water
- 5 chai tea bags, homemade or purchased
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 4 whole pears, peeled, stems intact
- 3 tablespoons honey
- star anise, cinnamon sticks, blackberries, crystallized ginger
- Bring water, tea, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger to a simmer in a tall and narrow saucepot.
- Add pears, and simmer for 15 minutes. Let steep off heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove pears from poaching liquid and set aside. Boil chai liquid with honey until reduced to syrup.
- Serve pears garnished with cinnamon sticks, crystallized ginger, blackberries and a drizzle of chai syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pears