If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe puts me in the mood for winter. Pears, poached with orange and spices, are both incorporated into the batter & used as decoration. Aromas of mulled wine, chocolate and raspberry fill the kitchen, making is difficult to resist pulling them out of the oven too early! Do your best to resist- vegan muffins require a slightly longer cooking time than conventional ones.
Prep for these muffins is a little fussier than usual. But then, these aren’t your average muffins. They’re more decadent, and perfect for the holidays.
Makes 6 jumbo size muffins
Poached Pear Chocolate Muffins with a Raspberry Swirl
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder plus 2 tbp
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pear poaching liquid
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup safflower oil (can sub other oil of your choice, or do all coconut)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375?F. Oil jumbo muffin tins.
- In a blender, combine ground flaxseed and 1/4 c warm water. Blend until thickened and light in color.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, oils, milk, flax paste, poaching liquid and diced pear. Fold in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full with batter. Spoon a heaping spoonful of jam on top of each one and use a chopstick to swirl it through the batter a few times. Lay pear slices on top (about 5 per muffin) and sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, stopping halfway to rotate pan.
- Remove muffins from oven when a tester comes out clean and cool for 10 minutes. Invert muffins in their tins to finish cooling.
- 2 pears- peeled, halved and cored
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 orange, outer peel and juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Add all ingredients to a pot and cover surface with a parchment circle. Simmer all ingredients over low heat for approximately 30 minutes, until liquid has reduced and pears are tender but not falling apart. You may want to flip the pears halfway for even cooking.
- Remove pears and place in refrigerator to cool. Strain remaining solids from poaching liquid and discard. There should be about 1/2 cup of liquid. (If there is extra, use all and compensate by reducing the milk in the muffin recipe, conversely, if there is less, add more milk.)
- When pears are cooled, cut off top knobs so that each half is domed shape. Cut the domes into thin slices and reserve for decoration. Dice the knobs to be added to the batter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pears
Chop to It
Salad with one rule: chop it real good.
Let's get chopping.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Rock the roast.
This is poppin'.