If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother recently sent me an envelope full of her recipes. This chocolate cake as I remember is so wonderful, Very intense chocolate flavor, moist and fudgy. The icing is poured onto the cake while its still hot. It's so good and I remember this being one my favorites when I was a child. My Mother used margerine which I am including in the list of ingredients feel free to use butter instead. I decided to use Hershey's cocoa powder which is what my Mother used but you can use whatever you like, however after baking it I recommend a higher quality cocoa for a stronger chocolate flavor.
I don't know why its called Texas chocolate cake neither does my Mother, I don't even know how old this recipe is or where my Mother got it all I know is that its really good. I think this would be great with Nancy Silvertons genius whipped cream.
NOTE: I just made it with butter and it turned out perfectly. - sdebrango
Makes one 9x13 cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks salted butter or margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons good quality unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In large mixing bowl whisk together the flour and sugar and salt, set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour (to optimize chocolate flavor instead of flour use cocoa powder) a 9x13 baking dish.
- In saucepan combine butter, cocoa and water. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. When it comes to a boil and is smooth turn off heat.
- Lightly beat your eggs in small mixing bowl, measure your buttermilk and add the baking soda to the buttermilk and stir to combine. Add this to the eggs along with the vanilla. Add the egg buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients along with the butter and cocoa,water mixture. Mix with hand held mixer until smooth approximately 2 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. A few minutes before the cake is done start making the frosting. You pour the frosting on the cake right after it comes out of the oven.
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In saucepan on med/high heat add the butter, cocoa and milk,whisking to combine let it come to a boil then remove from heat and add confectioners sugar and vanilla mix well. Pour over hot cake. Let cool on rack. The frosting will be soft and gooey. Serve while cake is slightly warm or room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
Up Your Grill Game
Your favorite herb rub, no recipe required.
Herb rubs, fresh and dried.
Wine to go, without the box.
Tea Thyme Soda
Make better cookies.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad