If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Purple sweet potatoes are such fun to eat! They are a staple root vegetable out here in Hawaii, so I'm always looking for creative ways to enjoy them. This chowder can be enjoyed with any meaty white fish. - Saturdays with Maggy
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced Maui (or sweet) onion
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 1/2 cups Okinawan (purple) sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (divided)
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 pound ono (wahoo) cubed in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup grated green (raw) papaya
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add canola oil, onion, ginger, and chili garlic sauce and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add chopped sweet potatoes, fish sauce, water, salt, and 1tsp of the sesame oil. Liquid should just cover potatoes; if not, add a little more until covered. Cover the pot and cook 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate bowl, add green papaya, shoyu, remaining sesame oil, green onion, sesame seeds and toss.
- Back to the stove, turn the heat down to low and add coconut milk and fish. Cook, uncovered, until fish is cooked through, 6-10 minutes. Don't boil or simmer the chowder, this is also a good time to check your chowder for seasoning and add salt if needed. Check the fish frequently for doneness, you don't want to over cook it. Turn the heat off and cover the pot, allowing it to rest at least 30 minutes.
- For serving, spoon desired amount into bowl and top with green papaya mixture. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
What's in, what's out.
Make better cookies.
Gifts for Mother's Day