If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We all know that fried dishes (such as Latkes and Jelly Doughnuts) are traditional and a must for Hanukkah. A few ears ago, I found this recipe in an old Chinese Cook Book and decided that it is an excellent substitute for Jelly Doughnuts. Cooking this dessert is best after Hanukah dinner and invite your guests to the kitchen to watch the fascinating and dramatic process.
Makes 6 servings
For the batter
- • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1/2 cup water
- • 2 firm Golden Delicious apples, each peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- • 2 slightly underripe bananas, peeled and sliced in 1-inch thick diagonal slices
- • Canola oil for frying
For Caramel coating
- • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- • 1/3 cup warm water
- • 1 tablespoon canola oil
- • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a bowl mix flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Add water and stir until smooth. Place fruit in batter and turn to coat evenly.
- Into a deep pan (about 6 inches in diameter), pour oil to a depth of about 1 1/2-inches. Heat oil to 350 degrees on a deep-frying thermometer. Using chopsticks or a slotted spoon, lift 1 piece of fruit at a time from batter and let excess batter drip of; then lower fruit into hot oil.
- Cook not more then 4 pieces at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with another clean slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To make the caramel: Place sugar, water and oil in a 10-inch frying pan; stir to blend. Place pan over medium-high heat.
- When mixture begins to bubble, shake pan continuously to prevent burning. Cook until syrup just turns a pale straw color, about 9-10 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, add sesame seeds, and swirl to mix in. Syrup will continue to cook after you remove it from heat and color will turn golden in a few seconds.
- Generously oil or spray a flat serving platter. Fill a serving bowl with ice cubes; cover with cold water. Drop fruit into syrup and swirl to coat evenly. Using two spoons, immediately remove each piece of fruit and place on the oiled platter so pieces do not touch.
- To serve: At the table, dip each piece of fruit in ice water so coating hardens and fruit cools.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.