Author Notes: A favorite vacation destination, Nantucket Island is a great place to visit friends, enjoy lobster and other local delights and relax. The houses all have names, usually maritime or island themed, like "Cross Rip", "House of Lords"; we rented one named "Suture Self" (a doctor, I surmise). I found an ancient community cookbook and this recipe is very loosely adapted from one in it. At one time cranberries were one of the important crops on the island. They are still harvested in September and October. - dymnyno
Makes 1 11 inch cobbler
- 3 cups fresh raw cranberries (12 ounces)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups chopped almonds
- TOPPING BATTER:
- 2 fresh eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cups melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- Butter a pie pan and pour the cranberries into it.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup chopped almonds over the cranberries.
- Mix together the eggs, almond extract, melted butter, flour and sugar until smooth.
- Pour evenly over the cranberries and use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection