If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Home-fried potatoes seems so simple, yet for years they eluded me. The challenge lies in achieving a crispy browned exterior on the potato without having to use copious amounts of oil. Starting with raw potatoes, I always found that the outside browned before the inside could cook through. Since I always used oil rather judiciously, the potatoes would stick to the pan and we would miss out on the flavorful, crispy skin. After much trial and error, I developed this recipe which results in perfectly seasoned potatoes with just the right amount of crunch, all with only a little bit of oil. - My Pantry Shelf
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Ketchup for dipping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Put the raw, diced potatoes in a medium-sized pot and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then add 2 teaspoons of salt and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes and then drain. Potatoes should be cooked, but still firm.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed oven safe skillet over medium heat. (I like to use a 10-inch cast iron pan for this.) Heat the oil, then add onion, garlic, spices, and salt. Stir to coat onions. Cook for 2 minutes to toast spices. Add drained potatoes and stir to coat potatoes.
- Place skillet in hot oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are browned and onions are soft. If you are opting for cheesy home fries, sprinkle the grated cheese over the top the last couple of minutes and stick under the broiler to melt.
- Toss chopped parsley over the top and serve with ketchup for dipping.
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.