If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love fall cooking. Our daughter says there is no season for good food but I disagree. tonight's supper is a beautiful pot roast with crispy potatoes and yorkshire puddings. - lorigoldsby
- 1 4-5 # roast
- 6-8 carrots
- 5 parsnips
- 3 small yellow onions
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, cut into thirds
- 1/2 can of tomato paste
- 178 ml red wine (small "personal" 4 pack bottle)
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1-2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- Tip: Each time I make this the roast is a different size, so i put my roast in my pan first, then figure out how much room i have left for vegetables. Because we prefer our vegggies with a beautiful carmelization, you can only have 1 layer of veggies...so get the largest roasting pan that has a nice sealing lid... You can put some of the onions under the meat to save room. (see picture)
- Season and then sear your roast on all sides. Before we were married, my husband didn't like roast beef and didn't realize that a roast beef wasn't grey. Once he had my roast, he understood why I seared the meat first. It not only helps with sealing in moistness, it adds flavor.
- Coat your veggies with a little oil or melted butter. Season with salt and pepper, layer in the pan. Add thyme, bay, tomato paste and wine. Add beef stock. Add lid or foil to tightly seal.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 3-4 hours. Remove to platter to rest. add 1-2 t. flour to make gravy.
- Cube potatoes. Toss to coat with melted butter or oil. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until crispy.
Avocado toast, amplified.
Wine to go, without the box.
Herb rubs, fresh and dried.
Tea Thyme Soda
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad