If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake is suited to the holidays, because I think it tastes better made the night before! I like it in the morning with tea or coffee, but would not say no to sampling it in the afternoon, or as dessert. - cristinasciarra
Makes two 8" cakes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring the pan
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 medium lemon
- 11/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 11/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 punnet fresh blueberries, or 2 cups of frozen
- Heat the oven to 300°F. Butter and flour the pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas. Zest the lemon directly over the bowl, add lemon juice, and mix. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt. Add the nutmeg and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, white sugar and light brown sugar. With an electric mixer, beat in eggs one at a time until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the banana mixture to the large bowl and mix. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk until entirely incorporated.
- Toss washed blueberries with a pinch of flour. (This will help them not sink in the batter). Add to the batter and mix.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about an hour, or until a fork comes out clean. Let the cake cool before serving. (You can also cover it with plastic wrap, and eat it the next morning.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II