If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You may have noticed, if you track these things, that I make a lot of cornbread. It's quick and easy and delicious and forgiving and multi talented in it's recipe applications. This morning I woke up and it's COLD out (Texas cold - 40's) and the wind is coyote howling. And I have three ripe (OK well, black) bananas. I wanted to bake, so here's what I made - sweet soft banana housed in a honey and butter crisped cornbread - I think they are delicious. So does Ginger .... —aargersi
Serves 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup white wheat flour (or AP if that's all you have)
- 1 cup cornmeal - medium grind is what I use
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas - just this side of rotten is best
- no stick baking spray
- Heat the oven to 400. Melt the honey and 4 tbs butter together. Spray a muffin tin with no stick then cut the other 2 tbs butter up and drop a chunk in each muffin cup. Put the pan in the oven.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet together in another. Mash the bananas in a 3rd (incidentally, the baking time is just about what it takes to wash the bowls and whisks and things). You should leave some chunky bits in the banana.
- Whisk the butter and honey into the egg and buttermilk, then whisk the dry into to wet until it's just combined. Fold in the banana.
- Get the muffin tin out of the oven and scoop the batter in - I use a 1/4 cup measure for this and it works out just about right. Put the pan back in and bake 25 minutes until crispy and gold around the edges. Let them cool for a few minutes before you turn them out of the pan. They are really good warm, with a cuppa coffee. And bacon.
It's a little Spanish, a little Italian, and a lot wonderful
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Meet beaver tails.
A better basket.