If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every year for Thanksgiving, my mom would make her cranberry jello mold, which we anticipated more eagerly than the turkey. Cranberry jello was sweetened with canned pineapple, walnuts, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Her jello is the inspiration for my cranberry, pineapple, and walnut relish. I love the way the tart cranberries are balanced by sweet pineapple and earthy walnuts. I used almond extract instead of vanilla, which enhances the tropical flavor of the pineapple. This relish complements ham, pork, and chicken too. - Food Blogga
- 1 (12) ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- a couple of pinches of salt
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- the zest of 1 medium orange
- 2/3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine first five ingredients in a medium sauce pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries pop and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in orange zest, walnuts, and almond extract. Cool; place in an air-tight container and chill before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cranberry Sauce