Author Notes: These dainty miniature samosas are a given at most parties and gatherings in India. One bite versions of the regular samosas, I prefer making use of phyllo pastry sheets rather than the regular dough covering since it makes for a quicker baked version. plus, its faster & cleaner than deep frying in batches! - Panfusine
Makes ~ 20-25
Potato peas & Paneer filling
- 1 medium-large idaho potato, boiled & peeled
- 1/4 cup baby peas, cooked
- 1/4 cup shredded paneer
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 2 teaspoons Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 3 teaspoons Roughly crushed Coriander seeds
- Crumble the boiled potato. Add to the peas & paneer in a bowl and mash until the veggies are integrated, but not mushy.
- Heat the oil till smoking & add the crushed coriander seeds. Stir around till they barely begin turning brown and then add the minced ginger. Stir for ! 5-10 sec and then add the hot tempering mix to the potato mixture Add the Salt, Garam masala,and cilantro and lime juice. Combine to disperse the seasonings evenly in the filling.
- 1/2 package phyllo pastry sheets
- Oil for brushing
- Potato, peas & paneer filling
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Thaw the pastry sheets and keep them covered with a moist kitchen towel. Cut each sheet into app. 6 in X 10 in size.
- Place a single sheet onto the workspace and brush with oil. Fold longitudinally to get a strip that is 3 in wide.brush the top surface again with oil.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling at one end of the strip. Follow the photographs to fold the pastry & seal.
- Lay the samosas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the surface with oil. Bake at 350 C for about 15 min or until the surface has turned a light golden brown.
- Serve warm with a sweet & sour tamarind chutney or green cilantro mint chutney.
- You can prepare the pastries ahead of time, lay them on a baking sheet , cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until required. Simply pop into a preheated oven to bake & serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack