Author Notes: To the uninitiated North Americans, the pavlova's closest relative would be the meringue ...but with a soft yet chewy centre that melts in your mouth. This is a recipe that has been passed through the generations of Australasians yet one we still argue as to the origins. Whip out a pavlova at a mixed Antipodean event and there is bound to be a lengthy discussion about its birthrights. - Kate Thompson
- 1 1/2 cup fine granulated Sugar
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 /1/2 teaspoon best vanilla essence (or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste)
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat egg whites with salt using an electric mixer until they form a stiff peak. (This can take 5 - 10 minutes, depending on weather and humidity).
- Gradually add fine granulated sugar (quarter of a cup at a time) beating at full speed until all sugar is added. Mixture should look white, glossy and stiff.
- Using a spatula, fold in vinegar and vanilla.
- Set out mini cupcake cases inside a mini muffin tin/baker tray.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop or teaspoon, scoop out mixture and place into cupcake cases. This doesn't have to be neat, you want to sculpt it so it forms a slight dip in the middle (as this is where the cream and topping will go when it is cooked and cooled.
- Reduce heat in the oven to 300F and bake 20- 30 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave pavlovas in oven until completely cooled (or overnight for the ultimate sticky pavlova sensation!).
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet freshly washed mixed berries (eg raspberries, blackberries or blueberries)
- 1 bunch roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup roasted, roughly crushed hazelnuts
- Roast hazelnuts under broiler for a few minutes (watch carefully as they can easily burn!). Remove husks and crush, using a mortar and pestle - do not over crush, keep it rustic.
- Whip cream using electric mixer.
- Add a dollop of cream to the top of each pavlova, and decorate with berries, mint
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack