Author Notes: Sharp cheddar pimento cheese bread with panko breadcrumbs and pan-fried. Served with a pepper jelly vinaigrette and candied pecans. - Chefbaltz
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp shredded yellow or white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder or minced fresh garlic
- 1.2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapenos
- 1/4 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 4 ounces drained pimentos
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- 1 cup store bought or homemade candied pecan halves
Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup red pepper jelly
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, depending on how tart you like it
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Mix together all the ingredients for the pimento cheese (except for the panko, oil for frying, and pecans) until smooth.
- Form the pimento cheese into 1-2 inch balls or discs and coat with the panko.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ingredients for the Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette; chill.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and fry the pimento cheese croquettes until brown on all sides (about 2-3 minutes).
- Drain the croquettes on paper towels and serve with the pepper jelly vinaigrette and candied pecans on a platter, individual plates, or on top of mixed greens.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack