Author Notes: This was our "signature appetizer" for our 25th anniversary party. Since then, it is always requested. The decadance of dipping the steak into the blue cheese just makes your guests feel like it is a special occasion, and when you have friends over...isn't THAT a special occasion?
Make friends with your butcher, often you can get sirloin "scraps" for a great price if you order ahead. Tell him it doesn't have to be uniform sizes--you can sort those out at home! - lorigoldsby
Serves a crowd
- 4 pounds sirloin, cubed
- 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, kosher salt and fresh cracked
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon Four pepper blend cracked pepper
- "Even up" your beef cubes to single sized bites. Season steak with garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Let steak cubes come to room temperature (about 1 hour in the winter). Thread onto skewers. Grill until desired doneness (we like med-rare)
- Melt butter over medium heat. add blue cheese and stir to combine. Add the 4 pepper cracked blend (I like the penzy's quatiore pepper--but any fresh peppercorns with white and pink peppercorns will do)
- Remove meat from skewers and use "hole" to re-skewer with a short lollipop stick. Place a small bowl beside the pot to gather the "used" sticks
- to serve, if you don't have a small fondue pot/chafing dish-- if you have one of the electric "mini-crocks/little dippers"--those are great for keeping your fondue warm.