If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got the original recipe from a friend in a "mommy group" when my daughter was less than a year old. I made it, but it was too heavy! I changed it up a bit and made it a little lighter. Now it is a Holiday staple. My whole family loves it! - sensiblebloomers
- 1 Loaf Pugliesse bread or other chewy, crusty, rustic loaf, sliced 1/2" thick
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 8 ounces sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 16 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 10 ounces bag fresh spinach
- 12 ounces grated swiss cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Let butter get to room temperature so it will spread easily on the bread. Spread thinly on one side of each slice.
- Saute mushrooms in oil, set aside.
- Crumble sausage and cook, set aside.
- Cook spinach, drain, chop, set aside
- In a lightly greased or non-stick 11x7 pan that has at least 2 inches height, layer bread, sausage, mushrooms, onions, spinach and cheese. Repeat.
- Mix everything from eggs down together in a large bowl or measuring cup and pour over all.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 f deg. for 1 hour. Serve hot!
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.