Author Notes: In the Fall I crave comfort food...braised meats, roasted root vegetables. I like to start the meal with something bright like a fall day, sparkling and pepper.y My garden lemons and oranges are just about ripe and my neighbors persimmon tree is looking like someone flipped the switch. I think that this salad would be perfect for the day AFTER Thanksgiving when everyone is craving something lighter. - dymnyno
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 vanilla beans
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
for the salad
- 3 heads of butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 lb cooked rock shrimp
- 1 Fuyu persimmons (Be sure NOT to use Hachiya...very tanic)
- 1/4 cup red peppercorns
- Slit open the vanilla bean and scrape the pulp from the skin.
- Grind the black pepper.
- Combine the bean pulp, black pepper, orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar and oils and whisk. OR, put all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Hand tear the lettuce (after washing) into bite size pieces.
- With a mandoline or Benringer slice the persimmons into strips and add to salad.
- Add the cooled toasted almond slivers. Add the rock shrimp.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss the salad.
- Sprinkle with red peppercorns
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad