Author Notes: Mini Meatloaves meant to be juicy as long as they;re cooked just right.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes - DinnerDiva PGH
- 4 ounces baby carrots
- 4 ounces celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces onion, cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs sprigs fresh thyme, stripped off stems
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 ounce canola oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs, cracked and beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2.5 pounds 85-percent-lean ground beef
- 1.5 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 10 pieces sliced pancetta
- 1 can fried onions, for garnish
Red Wine Reduction Sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup jarred or homemade gravy
- 1 ounce tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a food processor, finely chop carrots, celery, onion, thyme leaves and parsley. Saute in oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat.
- Start sauce by simmering the wet ingredients together in a sauce pan on low-medium heat.
- Place remaining components for the meatloaves, except pancetta and fried onions, in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with the sauted vegetables and herbs. ( It's okay for the mixture to be a little loose. End result will be moist meatloaves.)
- Using the palms of your hands, form 10 round-shaped mini meatloaves, each topped with a slice of pancetta.
- When sauce is reduced by half, break up any lumps of tomato paste, using a whisk. Adjust seasoning. Remove from heat; cover with a lid.
- Place meatloaves on a baking tray and cook in oven about 10 minutes or until cooked through, rotating once. They are done when the internal temperatures reach 165 degrees F. Serve with French-fried onions and sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Charcuterie / The Charcutepalooza Grand Prize Challenge