If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fruit crisps are hard to resist- who doesn't love a dessert of warm baked fruit topped with a crumbly, streusel-like topping? Plus they're a great way to take advantage of seasonal fruit. But most fruit crisps are loaded with sugar and fat so I set out to create a lighter, healthier version of a traditional crisp that would be better for you and still be delicious enough to devour. - Sonali aka the Foodie Physician
- 3 pounds baking apples such as Fuji, Honey Crisp, Jonagold or Granny Smith, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 9 cups diced)
- 3/4 cup natural dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch round pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Toss all of the filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the bowl into the pie pan.
- Place all of the topping ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is crumbly. Alternatively, this can be done in a large bowl with a pastry blender, fork or your fingers.
- Spread the topping evenly over the filling all the way to the edges of the pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place the pan on a baking sheet. Alternatively, you can divide the filling and topping into individual ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes covered, then uncover and bake another 30 minutes until the topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve with reduced fat ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Genius, explained at last.
When I dip, you dip, we dip.
Style with a breeze.
Gnocchi with a Twist
Gno potato, gno problem.
All hail fried toast.