Author Notes: This is the best reason to have leftover mashed potatoes! For breakfast, just add a fried egg and a side of gravy. - Granny G
Makes 8 cakes
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (you can use jack or cheddar cheese, also)
- 2 scallions or green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt to taste
- Place everything but the butter and salt in a medium bowl; stir to combine, set aside.
- Heat half the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until hot but not browning.
- Make 3 inch cakes with 1 cup of the mixture and place 3-4 cakes in the preheated pan.
- Fry undisturbed until the bottoms are golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Gently flip the cakes and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 4 to 5 minutes more
- Transfer to a plate; season with with salt and keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Serve with sour cream or gravy.