Author Notes: To be totally honest this came as an after thought, I wanted to enter a second recipe in the contest but was recipe blocked. I had some left over pie dough from the beef pot pies and it came to me. It's really simple but the flavors work well together. I used granny smith apples, fresh whole cranberries and what I feel makes this special is how the walnuts that are pan toasted in butter, sage and orange zest. I used Julia Childs pie dough recipe and wanted to include the link. The crust turned out really nice, I used cultured butter (Vermont Creamery) Kerrygold would work well also and leaf lard. http://www.food52.com/recipes/14751_julias_all_purpose_pie_dough_pate_brisee
Makes 1 tart
- Your favorite pie crust or galette recipe (I used Julia Childs recipe for pie crust the link is in the headnote)
- 2 granny smith apple peeled and thinly sliced
- tablespoons 1 scant tbs of flour as a thickening agent
- 1/4 cup brown sugar loosely packed
- zest of half a lemon (about 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg and splash of water for egg wash
- Heat oven to 375. Melt the butter in saute pan and add the sage and orange zest. Add the walnuts and toast on medium heat, it takes about 10 minutes, stir frequently and when you can smell the nuts and sage its done. Remove from heat and chop when its cool enough to handle.
- Peel and slice the apple, add the cranberries, lemon zest, brown sugar,flour and chopped walnuts and stir to combine. Roll your pie dough into approximately a 9 inch circle, dust with flour and roll onto your rolling pin, place on parchment lined baking sheet. Place the apple walnut mixture in the center and bring the edges of the circle around the apples. The center will be exposed. Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden brown. Let cool before serviing. NOTE: If you use the pie crust recipe I use it makes enough for a double crust pie, you can either make two or freeze the other disk of pie dough for later use.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage