If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After 40 years of making a wonderful and bare bones simple hummus, I became intrigued by preserved lemons. I first had them in Israel, at the home of a family who had come from North Africa. I remembered the experience for over 10 years before I felt ready to try making them. You pack them with salt and wait, and when they are ready, then what? I found great recipes and ideas on FOOD52, and then the thought of incorporating them into hummus grew on me. It's a natural marriage of kindred souls, ethnic companions -- and proved to be a happy union!
My tipping point recipe came from the New Zealand food magazine DISH, "Preserved Lemon Dressing," excellent in itself and full of hints that resulted in this recipe. - susan g
Food52 Review: This recipe is a really excellent twist on a standard hummus recipe. I have tried many varieties and it is tough to find flavored hummus that doesn't overwhelm. The lemon is pretty subtle in the recipe and without tahini, it tastes much more robustly of chickpeas which I loved. It is extremely quick and easy to throw together. If you prefer your hummus on the creamier side, I would suggest adding a touch of water at the end and processing it for a few minutes, otherwise it has a grainer and thicker texture. - Food52
Makes 1 pint (.5 litre)
- 2 quarters preserved lemon, rinsed
- 1 small onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- .5 teaspoons paprika
- .5 teaspoons hot paprika (or omit, use 1 tsp paprika total)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- .25 cups olive oil
- 1.5 cups cooked chick peas (or 1 can), drained
- Garnish options -- paprika, sumac, cilantro, drizzle of olive oil.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with sprinkled paprika or sumac, or chopped cilantro, and/or a drizzle of olive oil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
La Dolce Vita
A sweet bite for a sweet life.
Italian Breakfast Buns
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Cereal = Dessert
The Daily Grind
Recipe of the Day