If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Citrus and avocado are perfectly matched. Combined with bitter greens, they make a winter salad extraordinaire. Use any mixture of grapefruit and oranges that you like. There is always an interesting assortment this time of year to choose from. - Waverly
for the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
for the salad:
- 2 clementine oranges
- 1 mineola orange
- 1 cara cara orange
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 4-6 handfuls frisee
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted pistachios
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: in a small jar or bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, and salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil and mix until it is emulsified. Set the vinaigrette aside.
- PREP THE CITRUS AND TOSS THEM TOGETHER IN A BOWL: Don't be tempted to skip this step. The segments of citrus taste much better without the membranes. Using a sharp knife, cut away the skin along with the white pith that lies just beneath it. Cut between the segments to separate them. Now, remove the membranes which encase the fruit. Place all of the segments into a medium bowl and toss. Set aside.
- TOSS FRISEE: Whisk the vinaigrette if it has separated. In a large bowl, toss the frisee with just enough vinaigrette to moisten it, about 2 Tbsp.
- PLATE AND SERVE: Divide the frisee among plates. Top with the mixed citrus. Peel the avocados, cut them in half and remove the pit. Slice them into thinly. Divide the avocado among the salad plates. Sprinkle the salads with the toasted pistachios and then top with vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.