If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this is a great fall/winter cake. I use a bit of whole wheat flour because it adds a nice texture but you can adjust the ratio with white flour to your taste. I also add a glug of maple syrup to the apples when I'm cooking them but you can use a tablespoon of sugar instead if you don't have the syrup on hand. - sweet enough
Serves one cake
- 1/2 pound plus 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- a glug of maple syrup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup golden raisins
- heat oven to 350 degrees. grease the inside of a 9 inch baking pan.
- melt one tablespoon of butter in a pan and cook the apples on a medium to high heat until they start to release their liquid. Add the maple syrup or sugar and cook until the apples just start to brown. remove from heat and set aside.
- sift the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer or kitchen aid until light and fluffy. add the eggs one at a time and beat in the orange rind and vanilla extract. with the mixer on low, alternate adding in the dry ingredients with the sour cream until just blended. fold in the apples and raisins.
- spread 1/2 the cake batter into the pan. sprinkle 3/4 of the almonds on top of the layer. spread the rest of the batter over that and sprinkle the rest of the almonds on top. bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.