If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My grandmother served grapefruit supremes with blueberry syrup at every lunch in the winter. She was pleased as punch that she invented this combination, and would announce that fact loudly as she set down the chilled glass plate, prepped ahead and refrigerated. At the time, she used a commercial blueberry syrup that was probably artificially flavored. It wasn't until I began experimenting with blueberry syrup that I remembered this salad, and the whole taste memory came back in a flash, the exquisite flavor of grapefruit and blueberry. I've updated the salad to include avocado, chile and toasted almonds. (PS, This recipe makes quite a lot of blueberry syrup. You won't regret that - stir into selzer or pour it over waffles.) - MrsWheelbarrow
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup wildflower or clover honey
- 1 2" piece of lemon peel
- In a large heavy pot, add the blueberries and crush them with a potato masher.
- Add water, honey and lemon peel and bring the mixture up to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, then simmer and stir continuously for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth lined sieve, pushing on the solids. You should have about 24 oz. of light syrup. Refrigerate - it will keep a week or two.
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Ruby Red Grapefruit, supremed
- 2 avocado, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 head boston lettuce
- 1/2 cup blueberry honey syrup
- Maldon salt
- In a large dry skillet, toast the almonds until fragrant. Set aside.
- Add grapefruit supremes, avocado, blueberries and jalapenos to a small bowl. Toss gently.
- Separate the leaves of the lettuce and reassemble them on two chilled salad plates.
- Divide the salad between the two plates and then dress with the blueberry syrup
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the top of each salad, then a big pinch of salt, and serve with warm tortillas and soft salty butter or a fresh cheese, like quark.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.