Author Notes: An impressive looking vegetarian dish that needs no special skills, equipment and does not take ages to make. Originally from Laura Santtini’s book 'Flash Cooking' which was sent to me to review, I have changed the cooking method and flavors to suit my own store cupboard. . - Amee
- 2 unwaxed lemons, very thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 block of halloumi cheese cut into slices about 1.5cm thick
- You will need a hot oven, preheat the oven to about 200C. Slice one lemon thinly. Using a pestle and mortar pound the garlic, pinch of salt, herbs and the peppercorns - add olive oil, honey and lemon juice from the other lemon. Rub the cheese and lemon slices with the mixture.
- Place it in an oven proof dish, and let it color and caramelize uncovered for about 10mins. Remove and turn over to color the other side. Serve lemon side up, sprinkled with the remaining dressing and pan juices drizzled over.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe