If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Without rhubarb, strawberries are mute. - slapdash
Food52 Review: We love cooks who have conviction -- and Slapdash has plenty! We especially like Slapdash's insistence on using a "WOODEN SPOON" -- the admirable, single-utensil, hard core approach to mixing. (Not that we do it ourselves.) This is a fairly classic crisp -- note the even 1/2 cup proportions in the topping. Commit them to memory and you can make this dessert anywhere. - A&M
- 1/2 cup (soft but still firm) butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 3/4" - 1" thick stalks red rhubarb
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash the rhubarb and the strawberries in cold water.
- Cut off the gnarly ends of the rhubarb and slice into 1/2" slices, cross-cutting any wide bits in half. Put in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Hull the strawberries and slice each one into 1/4" slices. Add them to the rhubarb.
- Add the granulated sugar and unbleached flour to the rhubarb and strawberries and mix WITH A WOODEN SPOON until the fruit is coated. Set aside.
- Cream the butter WITH A WOODEN SPOON in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and, WITH A WOODEN SPOON, mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and, WITH A WOODEN SPOON, mix until smooth.
- Add the rolled oats and, WITH A WOODEN SPOON, mix until smooth.
- Put the strawberry RHUBARB into an 6" x 3" round casserole dish making sure to scrape everything from the bottom of the mixing bowl into the casserole.
- Spread the oatmeal mix evenly over the top of the strawberry RHUBARB.
- Place the casserole dish on a cookie sheet on the middle shelf of the oven (as it can't help but overflow, it is that loud). Bake until the top is golden brown, 40-50 minutes.
- Serve while still quite warm with heavy cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberry Recipe